|At the St Helens History Room there are more than 1000 artefacts on display. These are presented thematically to represent the various stages of settlement of St Helens – from a collection of Aboriginal stone tools, to early European exploration of the East Coast of Tasmania, to the discovery of tin in the 1870s. In addition to these displays, there is also a photographic collection with more than 20 000 images.
The St Helens History Room also houses an extensive family history archive relating to early settlers’ families.The St Helens History Room is either the starting or the end point of the ‘Trail of the Tin Dragon’. A short film tells the story of the Chinese tin miners in North-East Tasmania, with images conveyed via a hologram installation in the theatrette. Visitors may also enter the ‘Dragon Room’ that contains more information about the local legacy of the Chinese. A range of publications and products is offered for sale through the Visitor Information Centre.