Dan Villiers is a Northern Tasmanian artist who presents an everchanging exhibition of pastel, oil paint, acrylic paint and encaustic works. His passion is local landscape, but he also displays expertise in portraits and life drawing, still life, and contemporary paintings. Dan is the resident artist at Greenoaks Gallery in East Launceston.
In recent years Dan has developed expertise in the use of encaustic materials, with regular study in the medium in the USA.
An artist for most of his life, Dan has lived and worked in a number of cities in Australia and overseas. In Sydney, he continued his study of landscape and also the human figure. He won the 2003 North Sydney Art Prize Sporting Prize with a pastel painting of lawn bowlers on the North Sydney Bowling Club greens.
While living in Switzerland for three years he was inspired to paint the scenery around Lake Geneva. He exhibited these works in four successful watercolour exhibitions, with the local Swiss enamoured by his rendering of their much loved scenery. Several of his watercolour works of the Lake Geneva steamboats hang in a boating Museum in the Swiss-French border town of St Gingolph.
Dan has also worked as an artist and graphic designer in Asia.
- 2017 – purchased, renovated and opened Greenoaks Gallery, Launceston
- 2015 – 2017 conducted painting workshops in a variety of mediums, for experienced artists
- 2013 – 2017 built and operated own gallery Tamar Valley Art Shack in Northern Tasmania
- “Best Pastel” award TasArt 2014 Burnie
- Highly Commended ArtEx 2013 Rotary Art Awards Ulverstone, Mixed Media
- Highly Commended TasArt 2013 Burnie, Best Pastel
- First prize in the Professional Artists category at the 2011 Royal Hobart Show with his pastel painting ‘Last Light Near Oatlands’
- ‘Agriculture’ Section prize in the Meandering 2011 Art Prize with a pastel painting titled ‘Meander Quilt’
- ‘Best Pastel’ in the Burnie Art Prize 2010 titled ‘Wynyard Waters’
- ‘Highly Commended’ award in the Meandering 2010 Art Prize
- ‘Highly Commended’ award in the Meandering 2009 Art Prize
- Winner of the ‘Best Pastel’ prize in the Launceston Rotary 2008 Art Awards
- Winner of the ‘Agriculture Prize’ and ‘Major Prize’ in the Launceston Art Society and Meander Valley Council’s “Meandering 2008” Art Prize.
- Dan’s work is exhibited continuously at his studio/gallery Greenoaks Gallery
- Exhibited at Victor Harbor Rotary Art Show 2016, Victor Harbor, South Australia
- Exhibited at Mornington Rotary Art Show 2016, Mornington, Victoria
- Exhibited at Camberwell Art Show 2015, Camberwell, Melbourne
- Exhibited at Camberwell Art Show 2014, Camberwell, Melbourne
- Joint exhibition “BodyScape” July 2014 at The Mill Gallery
- Joint exhibition “BodyScape” July 2012 at The Mill Gallery
- Joint exhibition “BodyView” June 2011 at The Mill Gallery
- Joint exhibition with David Lake at Launceston Country Club February 2011