Nominated works for the University of Tasmania Prize are expected to be:
- over 20 000 words, or
- a collection of poems, essays, short stories, or
- playscripts over an hour in duration when read aloud.
Nominated works should be ready for publication. They should be edited and proof-read before submission.
Entries for the 2019 Premier’s Literary Prizes are open now. Entries close 27 June 2019.
Terms and conditions
- A Tasmanian writer is defined as one who has resided in Tasmania for six of the last 12 months.
- The University of Tasmania Prize is open to emerging Tasmanian writers of any age.
- The writer must be living on the date of entry.
- Manuscripts submitted may be works of non-fiction or fiction for adults or children, graphic novels, work of poetry or playscripts.
- Manuscripts for long works should not have been previously published. If submitting a collection, no more than 20 per cent of stories or poems can have been individually published in reputable journals, magazines or publications.
- The manuscript must not be under contract for publication or production at the time of nomination.
- Writers entering manuscripts for the University of Tasmania Prize are also eligible to enter works in the other Premier’s Literary Prizes categories.
- If Arts Tasmania determines that a nominated title is not eligible the entry fee will be refunded. The decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entry fee: AU$40 (plus GST).
- Nominations will only be accepted from the writer.
- Writers must complete the online entry form including payment details and upload an electronic version (in PDF or Word format) of the nominated manuscript by the closing date.
- The manuscript must be typed and double-spaced.
- The title of the work should be at the top of the document, but no identifying names of writers should appear on the document.
- To avoid any form of bias, manuscripts will be judged blind. Writers’ identities will not be known by any judge until after the shortlist is finalised.
- Nominees will receive confirmation of their entry and receipt of payment.
- The closing date for nominations is 27 June 2019.
- A panel of three judges, selected by the Premier’s Literary Prizes Advisory Committee, will judge the entries for both the University of Tasmania Prize and the Tasmanian Young Writer’s Fellowship.
- Arts Tasmania has the right to request additional material when considering if the manuscript is eligible.
- All decisions are final and no discussion or correspondence shall be entered into regarding the judging process.
Promotion and marketing
- Copies of nominated manuscripts received will become the property of Arts Tasmania and will not be returned. Manuscripts will remain the intellectual property of the writers and will not be used by Arts Tasmania for any other purpose.
- Shortlisted writers may be required for press interviews and promotional purposes before and after the announcement of the prizes.
- Shortlisted writers must make themselves available to participate in the Premier’s Literary Prizes shortlist announcement event expected to be in held in October 2019 and the winners’ announcement event in December 2019. Both of these events will be held in Hobart.
- Each shortlisted writer will provide Arts Tasmania with an excerpt from the manuscript and will allow Arts Tasmania to reproduce and disseminate it for promotional purposes.
Breach of the terms and conditions will render an entry invalid.