Welcome to Kickstart Arts’ Creative Exchange: Sharing Skills and Culture.
Title: Contemporary Polynesian Dance with Alejandra Iturriaga
You don’t need to wear a bikini or feathers to explore island culture… come as you are!
This dance course will start off with the basic movements of Polynesian dance such as Tamau, Varu or Taipu, slowly building over each week to include various combinations and tempos.
As you progress, you’ll explore different island choreographies, such as Otea and Aparimas from Rapa Nui and Tahiti. Each week also includes a vast soundtrack of beautiful cultural music and songs which you will also be able to enjoy at home.
For anyone with or without experience dancing, Polynesian or otherwise.
Optional: buy your own Pareo when you book your ticket, or borrow one on the night.
What you’ll get:
- Lots of experience from Polynesian dance culture including movements and styles
- Access to Alejandra’s Polynesian music playlist to enjoy at home
- A gentle workout for the body and mind
- Optional: buy your own Pareo when you book your ticket, or borrow one on the night.
- New and different ways to tie/wear your Pareo
What to bring:
- Wear comfy loose-fitting clothes
- Water bottle
- Notepad and pen if you want to make notes
- Smart phone or video camera to record moves for home practice
Bookings are essential
Please book via Humanitix so that we know you are coming.
About Creative Exchange: Kickstart Arts value community skills and knowledge, so we started up Creative Exchange – Hobart’s best destination for teaching, learning, sharing and collaborating!
About the teacher:
For the past 12 years, Alejandra has been collecting a wealth of knowledge in Polynesian Dance through travelling and studying different dance teachers and artists. Her undergraduate degree in Ecotourism Management has seen her work in projects related to conservation, and indigenous cultural activities in communities at Easter Island, Costa Rica, India, Chile and Australia. Also having trained as a Yoga Instructor and holding a Diploma in Arts and Music Therapy, Alejandra has been teaching professionally for 6 years.