Welcome to Kickstart Arts’ Creative Exchange: Sharing Skills and Culture.
Session Title: Creative Embroidery
Description: Aukje will take you through a journey of discovery through a variety of embroidery stitches, adding fun and freedom to your way of working. You’ll firstly be shown how to loosen up and achieve a freer style of embroidery, and then how to sketch a design and transfer it onto cloth. Aukje will also show you how to include found or collected objects into your design, by attaching them to the cloth.
What you’ll get:
- Lots of new ideas and inspiration for embroidery stitching
- A number of samples of work to take home with you
- Many new ways to include sketches and objects in your fabric projects
- Sketchbook, pencil and eraser
What to bring:
- Any lighter weight fabrics, Eg silk, cotton
- Any medium weight natural fabrics Eg linen, wool, silk, cotton, wool blanket
- Thread Eg stranded embroidery floss, perle, linen, crochet and knitting yarns
- Sewing kit Eg scissors, pins, needles suited to your threads
- Any drawing tools you like to use Eg sketch book, pencils, pens, charcoal or crayons (optional: we will provide a basic sketch kit)
- Found or collected items Eg buttons, beads, beach glass, shells, wood, etc
- Lunch to keep you going
- A piece of clothing to embroider onto (optional)
About Creative Exchange: Kickstart Arts value community skills and knowledge, so we started up Creative Exchange – Hobart’s newest destination for teaching, learning, sharing and collaborating!
Aukje Boonstra (www.ausrags.com.au) is an established professional textile artist and teacher based in North-West Tasmania. She specialises in eco dyeing, hand stitching and the transformation of discarded clothing into wearable art pieces.
Aukje conducts workshops across Australia in natural dyeing, repurposing old clothes into trendy wearable art pieces, creative embroidery and many more.