Welcome to Kickstart Arts’ Creative Exchange: Sharing Skills and Culture.
Session Title: Autumn baskets
Description: Create a harvest basket using materials gathered from the garden in Autumn. You’ll explore variations of this versatile approach to making strong baskets without pain or strain.
What you’ll get:
- You will weave a beautiful and useful ‘melon’ basket for your home
- Learn why Autumn is a good time to be making baskets
What to bring:
- Strong scissors, secateurs or snips
- A few pegs, some string and old towels (don’t stress if you forget, we’ll have some spares!)
- When you book, you’ll receive further information about what to bring…
About Creative Exchange: Kickstart Arts value community skills and knowledge, so we started up Creative Exchange – Hobart’s newest destination for teaching, learning, sharing and collaborating!
About the teacher:
Gwen Egg is a textile and community artist best known for teaching basket weaving with natural materials. Gwen is interested in the ecologies and cultures that inform our understanding of the materials and techniques used in the weaving. Gwen enjoys the process of making which stimulates her thinking – as do the people she meets through her involvement in community arts and teaching.
Gwen’s exhibition work celebrates nature with understated technique and eloquent forms. What began as a passion for weaving with natural materials has become, for her, a language with which to explore texture and form in familiar landscapes. Her practice is constantly re-informed by the environment in which she lives and works.