Welcome to Kickstart Arts’ Creative Exchange: Workshops in Everything
Title: Woven Baskets Workshop at Kickstart Arts
Strawberries from the garden and sweet treats from the kitchen will taste all the more delicious when presented in a lovingly woven basket.
Join us for a fun day learning ingenious techniques for weaving around corners and creating one, two and four cornered baskets.
What you’ll get:
- A variety of materials suitable for weaving plaited baskets and information on how to collect and prepare these materials
- Ideas and materials to personalise and decorate the weaving to make your own unique baskets
- You will take home several small baskets
- Photocopied instructions to help you remember the process
- An introduction to some fun weaving projects to challenge your fingers and your brain!
What to bring:
- If you have access to a New Zealand Flax plant collect and bring along some fresh leaves on the day
- Pen and notebook to take notes
- A camera to record stages of the process can be useful
About Creative Exchange: The Kickstart Arts Centre in New Town is fast becoming a community hub for arts and culture. Creative Exchange is a flagship project offering an ongoing program of workshops led by and for people from all walks of life. If you have a skill to share, please get in touch.
About the teacher:
Gwen is a textile and community artist best known for teaching basket weaving with natural materials. She is interested in the ecologies and cultures that inform our understanding of the materials and techniques used in the weaving. Gwen enjoys the process of making which stimulates her thinking – as do the people she meets through her involvement in community arts and teaching.
Gwen’s exhibition work celebrates nature with understated technique and eloquent forms. What began as a passion for weaving with natural materials has become, for her, a language with which to explore texture and form in familiar landscapes. Her practice is constantly re-informed by the environment in which she lives and works.